Hornsea Pottery was a pottery factory in Hornsea in the East Riding of Yorkshire founded by brothers Colin Rawson and Desmond Rawson with funding from a local business man, Philip Clappison 1949. The factory's earliest pieces were mostly designed by Colin Rawson, these included Character Jugs and posy vases with attached animal figures. In the mid 1950s the Rawson brothers started to recognise the potential of Philip's son, John Clappison. He was asked to produce the stylish, contemporary wares which are much in demand with collectors today. The Pottery also employed other noted designers such as Dorothy Marion Campbell and Alan Luckham. In 1967, the factory started to produce full ranges of tableware the first being the John Clappison-designed Heirloom, followed by his Saffron and Bronte patterns. In the 1970s, the Queensbury-Hunt partnership became involved in Hornsea tableware design, their Contrast and Concept ranges proving popular. Despite financial difficulties, the factory continued to produce tableware and ornaments until April 2000 when it went into receivership.
Purchase these three 1965-1972 Hornsea "Scroll" Herb Jars - Allspice, Sage, Thyme. The shapes were designed by John Clappison and the scroll design by Gordon Hellewell. All wooden lids are original and still have good rubber seals. Sage has a hairline fracture.
Size: Height to top of lid knob 3.25in/8cm Combined Weight: 300g